Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

137,881 Posts in 16,912 Topics- by 53,821 Members - Latest Member: Cherre Swanepoel

April 19, 2024, 11:14:45 PM
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 50   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Wiehann went down today ...  (Read 82458 times)
Colyn
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2008, 07:43:51 AM »

Thanks Avon ... I appreciate your kind words.
Colyn
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2008, 07:55:08 AM »

UPDATE:

The day is starting on a bad note ... the boy is vehemently against any form of medication basically all his life and that has led to him be very sensitive to medication ... one Panado is enough for a severe headache. Now things are not good for him ... they are medicating him with heavy artillery and it is disturbing his stomach in a big way. He is puking his lungs out and is feeling really horrible.

I am torn between the issues ... on the one hand he needs some medication but on the other hand this is like poison to him.

I just wish nursing staff and doctors want to take the time and just LISTEN when a patient wants to tell them how he feels.

Thank you all for your support and good wishes.
Colyn
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2008, 10:11:16 PM »

RANT:

Last week this time we were in knots waiting to see him come out of the theater. Up to this point everybody involved ... ER9111 Emergency crew, ER Staff and the two surgeons did what seemed impossible and we thank them for their commitment and professionalism.

The two days in ICU he was cared for well by highly trained staff but then things started slipping ... from the moment he was transferred to the ward things progressively went South. The boy's resilience and fighting spirit kept on surprising us and everyday their was progress. However ... his medical care by the nursing staff was nothing to be excited with. Fortunately my wife is extremely highly qualified and has a shoulder full of tags to proof it. She stepped in and started doing basic nursing care like getting his bowels to go, washing his hair, brushing his teeth ... cleaning his ears and nose and massaging his back and buttocks. All things that should be standard and basic nursing functions ... all aimed at keeping a patient comfortable.

Well yesterday morning she was called to Wiehann's doctor's rooms and got a scolding for interfering with the staff functions. Needless to say that by the grace of God I was not with her or that man would have been eating his own marrow. She was very upset when she git to Wiehann's room and he could see it. She told him what happened and he said ...

"Mom ... how do I get out of this place ?"

"Well ... they will only let you go if you are mobile." was all she could say.

Now this should make some goosebumps jump up in some that reads this ... it did for me when I saw it happen. By 14h00 the last blood transfusion lines were removed and all pipes and drains were already out. He gritted his teeth and got up onto the side of the bed. Took a crutch ... grunted and stood up and started walking out of the room ... down the passage to the nursing station ... gave them a wink and hobbled back to his room.

"Is that mobile enough ?"

Well the physio could not believe it and then last night around midnight he walked out of the hospital to the front parking area and when the security asked where he was going ... he said ... "I need some fresh air."

Well this morning the physio and occupational therapist did their sessions and reported to his doctor who then said he can go home. That was 11h00 ... my wife waited there till 18h45 for the doctor to come sign him out and was then told he went home. The nurse on duty "forgot" to take the discharge forms to him to sign.

Well I had to talk long and hard to the boy to calm him down.

These private hospitals are no longer care institutions but business entities and with the dillapidation of State Health we are at the mercy of these sharks. Gone are the days when nursing was a labour of love ... what really piss me off is that I will not see any discounts for services NOT rendered.

So ... hopefully he will be discharged early tomorrow morning or I may be in jail by midday.

END OF RANT.

Thank you all for your support and prayers.

PS ... It was a great moment when I sat in the cafeteria garden at exactly 12h30 and looked up and saw him hobbling through the door ... one week to the minute since he was pushed of to the theater. Smiley

Praise God ... he was good to us.
Colyn
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2008, 03:29:09 PM »

UPDATE:

Wiehann is now home and I will show some shots later ... Nelspruit CBD is without power for some reason that is not clear to us Sad so my image server is currently down.

He is now walking without the crutch and he can close his hand completely.

Thank you all for the support and prayers.
Cassie
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2008, 10:33:53 AM »

Bly om te hoor dit gan beter!  Smiley

Sterkte!
Colyn
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2008, 11:41:57 AM »

A few more shots ...

He has more control over his hand and fingers now but still nothing in his upper arm. Thank you all for your support.
Colyn
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2008, 05:38:50 PM »

Ok Wiehann suffered a bit of a setback. On Wednesday he completed the Antibiotics and by Friday night his knee was badly swollen. On Saturday my wife took him to the ER and the doctor decided open the knee up again. He was running a high fever and his blood pressure was sky high.

They operated late yesterday afternoon and fitted a drain to his knee. He is now receiving antibiotics IV.

Thanks for all the well wishes.
Colyn
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2008, 10:41:35 PM »

It has been a while since I posted some shots. It is now almost one month since the accident and both me and my wife are showing signs of stress. The current relapse came unexpected and my wife is very upset.

On the 21 of March Wiehann asked me to make some Chicken wings for him. This is one of his favorites and one of my specialties.

The following shots was taken during the evening.

It was a great evening and it was good to hear him joke and laugh.
Colyn
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2008, 10:57:39 PM »

On the 24th I treated him to another one of his favorites ... Seafood ...

Here are a few shots of his recovery path ... some shots of the wounds may upset some but I am posting it so that we can all be reminded how frail a human body is and why it is vital that we stick to ATGATT.

Colyn
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2008, 11:07:16 PM »

Saturday the 29th of March was a shit day for us. He developed a severe infection in his knee, his temp shot up to 40 C and his blood pressure jumped to 190/140. My wife freaked out.

She took him to the ER and he was promptly admitted. Later in the day ... around 18h30 he went into theater to get the knee drained.

Today he is not in a good place ... he has a lot of pain and is uncomfortable.

Thank you all for your good wishes ... I will convey it to him.
avon
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2008, 06:52:53 AM »

As always, our thoughts and prayers are with you today.
Barbyw
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2008, 11:16:27 PM »

Mine too, Colyn, for all of you as you are all suffering with him.
RippleJet
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2008, 11:24:36 PM »

After all progress he's been making and strength he's been gathering, I hope this will only be a short relapse!

He should soon be home again, eating seafood! coolsmiley
Colyn
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2008, 12:03:23 AM »

Thank you ... I will give him your messages.
Colyn
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2008, 11:31:32 AM »

UPDATE:

The drains have been removed from his knee and he is mobile again. He is also in a much better mood today.

Thank you for your well wishes.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 50   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic