Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

117,992 Posts in 14,832 Topics- by 53,821 Members - Latest Member: Cherre Swanepoel

March 28, 2024, 04:08:39 PM
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: XS 850 Rebuild  (Read 27678 times)
Werner
Administrator
Snacker

Sparks: +0/-0

« on: April 12, 2007, 10:43:18 AM »

Old bikes are abundant everywhere and we see them on our roads and at rallies. Most of them are in a fair condition and some are bearly running. There are the odd exceptions where a old bike is brought back to live in all its glory, but unfortonately these are not always in abundance.

In the month of Febuary 2007 I was fortunate (or unfortonate depending on your view) to get a call from a friend who is cleaning garage. He had a little project that he never really started and this project was left out in the weather for about 2 years. He collected parts from an old bike to rebuild it but never got round to it. As he knew I was keen on bike he gave me a ring and I quickly arranged a small Nissan 1400 pickup bakkie to go and collect this "project".

We got there and we where taken to where the stuff was we where to pick up ... What a nightmare! There where boxes and boxes of spares and parts. The boxes where falling apart because of the rain it had endured and there was alot of water everywhere. Your first reaction would be, "Ok, so we take this to which dump".

The motor was more or less ok and there where a few things missing on it which I was later to find in between the boxes. The back end of the little bakkie sagged alot as we loaded the stuff and you could really see it was taking a bit of strain from the HUGE load.

The motor the day after we picked it up. As you can see, it is in a bit of a sorry looking state.

The next few weekends where spend sorting through the parts. There was alot of parts that had to be chucked away since they where is a bad rusted state and there was not really a way to get them into a state where they are servicable. I am sure if I where to have casings and another se of barrles I could have build another motor.

Alot of parts! Somewhere there must be a bike!

Getting what is serviceable clean and ready so we can get started.

After everything was cleaned and sorted we started putting things together. Here is where we started.

We first got the frame, forks (which where in their component pieces and not very "together"), and rear swing arm together. As the bike is a shaft drive the rear swing arm has quite a bit of bearings and seals that go into it's assembly. We got the motor cleaned up and ready to be sprayed with engine enamel.

All clean and ready to spray

After about 4 weekends the motor was sprayed, the frame was sprayed, the rear swing arm assembled, and most of the parts ready to go in. So here is where we where then.

Since then we have put the motor in the frame and tested most of the electical systems as well as started the bike. The Starter motor is causing hassels so that will be stripped and reconditioned (will post pics of the disassembled starter) the bike has a kick start but why do you want to kick start an 850 when a button will work so much nicer. The project is now nearing a stage where it is looking like a bike. Now it is push to finish the technical then we can get started on the more cosmetic side and get this bike to really stand out in a croud!
roan
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 10:49:14 AM »

Thanx for Sharing Werner.

This looks like quite a job that you have taken on. Please continue posting through the rest of your project here.

PS : What did your landlord say about the bike parts on the wooden floor ? 2funny
Werner
Administrator
Snacker

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 11:00:22 AM »

That was luckly just one day that the parts where there but I spent quiet a while on hands and needs with handy andy in hand to clean up.

Tip for anyone that wants to do something like this PLASTIC!!! You buy it in rolls and work on that. Makes clean up a breeze and also if something drops you are not on your hands and knees looking for screw or something that you desperately need.
Werner
Administrator
Snacker

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 10:06:14 AM »

Ok, the weekend was dedicated to the Starter Motor and Relay. I have rebuilt the starter motor before but seems like some of the parts where not all that gr8. They looked fine to the eye though. I took it apart, cleaned it and tried it again to no avail. I stripped a spare one I had and replace the carbon brush assembly at the back and the housing. The spare starter motor's armature (Ste spinny thig inside) was not gr8 so I guess that is why that one did not work. I put it together and lo and behold, no more kick starter needed!!!

The starter relay was just a quick fix. It works on contacts inside that are activated by an electro magnet. Ater prolonged periods of inactivity it tends to lock in place. Taking a hammer to the top of the relay and lightly hitting it frees it up normally but if that does not work then a replacement will be needed. I was lucky and a light pounding with the hammer is all my little relay need. The bike is starting and idling and charging, now come the little tidbits like headlight, blinkers, and rear lights. Then I am ready to take it on the road!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 01:48:57 PM by Werner » Logged
Colyn
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 11:40:08 AM »

The bike is not starting and idling and charging

... So what is it doing then ? Shocked
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 11:42:43 AM by Colyn » Logged
Werner
Administrator
Snacker

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 01:48:32 PM »

Oops, typing mistake ... fixed it up
Riaan
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 08:30:43 AM »

Ok dom vraag ..Is daai n 3 cylinder
Werner
Administrator
Snacker

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 08:37:06 AM »

Ja, dis 'n 3 Cylinder bike ... Enigiste mense wat nog 3 Cylinder motors maak waar van ek weet is Truimph en Chevy.

Klink Naby aan 'n 4 Cylinder, maar het betjie 'n ander beat.
Riaan
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 08:39:04 AM »

So hy sal baie lekker klink met n "tune pipe"
Werner
Administrator
Snacker

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 08:55:50 AM »

Ja, maar klink alles nie better met 'n betjie van 'n pyp upgrade nie ?  Grin

Loud Pipes Save Lives LOL !!!!
Colyn
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 08:57:55 AM »

Windgatte Smiley
Werner
Administrator
Snacker

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2007, 09:01:47 AM »

Hehehehehe ... Colyn, jy is net jaloers omdat jou LT so still is  Grin LOL
Colyn
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2007, 09:04:01 AM »

Ek kom en gaan soos a lente briesie Wink
Werner
Administrator
Snacker

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2007, 09:06:20 AM »

LOL ... Stealthy  Cool
Riaan
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2007, 09:09:53 AM »

Ja die geraas sal n issue wees as jy die lang pad vat.......anders moet jy maar "ear plugs" dra
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic